DNA testing is the newest tool available to genealogists. These tests can help genealogists verify their paternal ancestry (father's father) and/or their maternal ancestry (motherís mother) in a quick and easy way. It saves time, prevents mistakes, and provides invaluable data that can be obtained in no other way.
order a yDNA test now or click "Join" through your personal FTDNA Page
order a mtDNA test now or click "Join" through your personal FTDNA Page
This Project is started to:
1. Help researchers on common or related families work together to find their common genetic heritage in early Virginia
(See the Patriarchs & Matriarchs Pages)
2. Identify the DNA of the ancestor families and compile them and their lost branches into distinct genetic lineages through DNA matches
Scope of this project:
The area included is made up of
- The eight original Shires (counties) of Virginia. Accawmack (Northampton), Charles City, Charles River (York), Elizabeth City, Henrico, James City, Warrosquyoake (Isle of Wight) and Warwick River (Warwick).
- Also includes informal county Chickacoan District (Northumberland).
- Daughter counties are Gloucester, Lancaster, New Kent, Surry, Westmoreland, Accomack, Stafford, Middlesex, New Norfolk, Upper Norfolk, Lower Norfolk, Norfolk, Nansemond, Princess Anne, King and Queen, Essex and Richmond.
The time period under consideration is the 17th Century (pre-1700)
Please accept this limitation and help us. We do not have the time or resources to deal with later families at this time.
The Jamestowne Society
The Order of Descendants of Ancient Planters
Society Colonial Dames XVII Century
Virginia Gen Web
Virginia Mailing Lists at Rootsweb.com
Virginia Message Boards at Ancestry.com
World Families Network Forums
World Families Network General Discussion
Note: If you have already tested for another project, FTDNA allows you to submit your results to a second project. Hereís how:
- Go to your personal page at FTDNA
- Locate the small blue box which says "join"
- Click on the box and follow the directions
- You want to key in " VA-1600 " and select it
- Then click "join" again
- That should transfer your result into the Virginia-1600s Geographical Project
For more information on the relationship between DNA testing and traditional genealogy, visit World Families Network.